Sunday, September 14, 2008

2 September

We arrived back at our apartment this afternoon, Tuesday. We had a great time in Kingwood with all the missionaries. Sunday evening Elder and Sister Wilcox and Elder and Sister Rigby along with the two assistances, Elder Green and Elder Bell, arrived at the mission home where we spent several hours discussing the next days activities. It was fun for us to be part of that meeting. I volunteered to be in charge of all the activities. I didn’t know that I would be doing this or I would have brought my recreation book with all the games in it. However, I did remember some for a large group.

Monday morning I helped Sister Moldenhauer fix lunch for the missionaries. We thought that we had enough but we ran out and so they had to go and get some chicken for at least 20 more elders and sisters. We spent the morning in meetings. Following lunch it was my turn. I don’t think that I have worked with such a large group before. We started out with numbering all the missionaries, one through five, and then I gave them an animal and they were to find their group by backing, etc. They had so much fun. Every time we needed groups they would start making their noise. From there I put them in lines to play streets and alleys. They really enjoyed that game. Then we had relays. The first was pouncing a basketball down the court and returning. Next they had to take off one shoe and take it down the court and then they had to go find their shoe, sit down, put it on and then return for the next one. Finally I had them carry a piece of candy on a spoon. By the time they were through they were tired. I was tired. From there we put each group in a circle and they played Dippy Dippy. It was a great day.

We had meetings in the afternoon and then returned to the Mission Home. In the evening we held a meeting again to decide what we would be doing the next day. It is so amazing that the church is so organized. President Moldenhauer had a telephone council with stake presidents, mission presidents, Salt Lake and others on the phone at the same time every morning. The brethren are very concerned for the missionary’s safety and the members. The church sent trucks out with supplies and they were just waiting in the outlying areas to see what the hurrician is doing. There are still three more in the atlantic. Never has this ever happened. I heard on the news this morning that it did happen in 1989 when there were five. The four of us, President and Sister Moldenhauer, Elder and Sister Wilcock, Elder and Sister Rigby, two sister and us ate at a member’s home Monday evening. The members have been feeding the elders their evening meals since they arrived. It was so good to be with them. There is such a spirit about them and power that is hard to describe

On Tuesday we feed the missionaries lasagna. Last evening the president memtioned that I would be speaking and bearing testimony today. I just had a feeling that it was going to happen but I didn’t know when. He informed me that I was not to use any notes. Well I had it all planned out in my mind but just before I spoke two elders sang “A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief” and that did it. I changed my talk and the spirit directed me. It was great. I am so grateful for my testimony and the privilage of serving the Lord here in Texas. The Lord has truly blessed us. While singing Monday afternoon, “Called to Serve” I looked around the room at all the missionaries and I couldn’t finish singing. My soul was filled with love and graditude for those young men and women who represent our Father in Heaven here in Texas. They are part of the Lord’s army in these last days.

Driving home we hit a lot of traffic and it took us longer than we had expected but we were prepared. The elders didn’t get home until eight that evening. I guess they hit more traffic than we did. People are retuning home today and we will be moving on Friday. I guess we will be living out of boxes for a couple of days.

Orange didn’t get any of the hurricanes but last night it really rained. It is a beautiful morning.

Can’t remember if I sent this or not. We love you a lot. Keep the faith and the Lord will bless you. Love mom and dad, grandpa and grandma

No comments: